"Green is the prime color of the world, and that from which all loveliness arises." -Pedro Calderon de la Barca.


Friday, July 25, 2014

Maternity Shirts to Baby Dress!

I had a few maternity shirts with those lovely belly stains on them... 
in other words "not fit to donate or sell."  
Looking at the shirts I thought that there was a lot of nice, soft, material in a maternity t-shirt, and the backs of the shirts were perfectly fine
so I started searching for free patterns on Pinterest.  
  
Now, I am not an expert at sewing so I wanted something very easy to get back in the swing of things.  
Found this one for a baby Cap Sleeve Dress on Shwin & Shwin that was adorable and thought I'd give it a try.
Cutting out Bodice from Maternity T's
(was debating putting those molas on the dress)

Aimee is 4 months old tomorrow, but large for her age.  She's about 15# and 29" long so she's wearing a 6 month size in most everything, even larger in some because of her height.  This free pattern was a size 12-18 month, but looking at it I didn't think it was that huge so I made it to size.

I used the backs of two maternity t shirts in the end, a teal green one and a purple one.
For the skirt I didn't follow the pattern because it didn't fit on any of the shirts right.   I ended up taking the purple t shirt and just cutting off the bottom of it all the way around (about 10 inches long) and then gathering that and sewing it on the bodice.

My first attempt revealed that the bodice was way too long as well as the skirt, but width was fine.

"Mom, this is too big!" 
So, I cut the skirt off the bodice and cut length off of both, then resewed.

This was perfect.  BUT, my stitching wasn't very straight and seam showed on skirt...
SO
I used the binding that had been around the top of the teal v-neck t shirt and cut it off to make a belt of sorts.  I stitched it on using a decorative stitch on my machine and black thread.  I left the ends hanging like a real belt, and then made a fabric flower out of the purple fabric.
Floppy Flower and Belt Detail 

To make the flower I just cut the end of a sleeve off at about three inches
then folded it and sewed a basting stitch and gathered it into a rough flower.  Then I stitched those stitches together on the back and hand stitched it on, gathering where I thought it needed it.

I think she likes it! 
It was really quite easy to work with jersey.  I'd been scared to try but think making t-shirts for her would be so simple.  I have several other dresses cut out from patterns I'm making myself, so I'll keep you posted!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...