I love salads in the summer and we had some great ones yesterday.
Here's what I made:
Red, White, & Blue 'Tato Salad
- 2 Bags of fingerling potatoes (Red, White, & Blue- these were called "Sunset Varieties")
- Cook potatoes according to bag directions until firm but not mushy. (I boil mine but you could oven roast or microwave too.) Cool potatoes quickly by running in cold ice water.
- Chop into bite sized pieces.
- Chop some red onion and add to taste. (I added about three tablespoons or so.)
- I made a mustard vinaigrette by mixing balsamic vinegar, white vinegar, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over potatoes.
- Chop some fresh mint and dill and add to salad.
- I added a few tablespoons of pimento peppers for color.
I started using quinoa instead of bulgur wheat in my tabouli recipes a few months ago and my hubby loves it! It's easier on tummies and has more protein too!
- Cook desired amount of quinoa according to package directions. I used 3 cups (makes a TON.) and had to rinse several times and then cook in 6 cups of boiling water. I usually toast my quinoa first after rinsing, but it's not necessary.
- Peel, Seed, and Chop up one large cucumber into cubes and add to a large bowl.
- Wash and Chop up at least one bunch of parsley(I like Italian flat leaf) and add to bowl.
- Chop up some fresh mint (I used about 4 large stems) and add.
- For dressing put about 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, and 2 Tablespoons (or so) of Penzey's Greek Seasoning. Mix well and taste before adding to bowl.
- Mix cooked quinoa into bowl and toss to coat. You might need to add more of something to make it to your taste.
- Wash and chop one package of bite sized tomatoes to salad and enjoy!
I hope everyone had a fun fourth!